In Germany, the DAAD Development-Related Postgraduate Scholarships provide opportunities for foreign graduates from developing and newly industrialized countries from all disciplines and with at least two years of professional experience to pursue a postgraduate or Master’s degree at a state or state-recognized German university, and in exceptional cases to pursue a doctoral degree and obtain a university qualification (Master’s/PhD).
The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) fosters the training of specialists from developing and recently industrialized nations through its development-oriented postgraduate study programs. Local professionals who have received appropriate training and are connected to foreign partners play a vital role in the long-term development of their respective countries. They are the best hope for a brighter future in which there is less poverty, more education, and better health for everyone.
What is the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD)? (DAAD)
 The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) is a private, federally funded and state-funded, self-governing national agency of German institutions of higher education that represents 365 German higher education institutions (100 universities and technical universities, 162 general universities of applied sciences, 52 colleges of music and art). Instead of offering programs of study or courses, the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) gives competitive, merit-based grants to be used toward study and/or research in Germany at any of the approved German institutions of higher education. It also awards grants to German… read more
DAAD Postgraduate Scholarship
Aim and Benefits of DAAD Postgraduate Scholarship
- Depending on academic level, monthly payments of 750 euros for graduates or 1,000 euros for doctoral candidates
- Payments towards health, accident and personal liability insurance cover
- Travel allowance, unless these expenses are covered by the home country or another source of funding
Duration of Program: 12 to 36 months (dependent on study programme)
Requirements for DAAD Postgraduate Scholarship Qualification
- Candidates fulfil the necessary academic requirements and can be expected to successfully complete a study programme in Germany (above-average result for first academic exam – top performance third, language skills)
- Candidates have a Bachelor degree (usually a four-year course) in an appropriate subject
- Candidates have at least two years’ professional experience
- Candidates can prove their motivation is development-related and be expected to take on social responsibility and initiate and support processes of change in their personal and professional environment after their training/scholarship
- The last academic degree (usually a Bachelor’s degree) should have been completed no longer than six years previously
- At least two years’ relevant professional experience
- Language skills: Depending on chosen study programme; please check scholarship brochure or the website of your chosen study programme.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified? Go to German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) on www2.daad.de to apply