The Mobile Telephone Network (MTN) and Airtel Nigeria have explained why they have restricted the ability of some of its subscribers to make calls, and they have expressed regret for the inconvenience.
According to the declarations made by the telecommunications companies on Tuesday via their Twitter accounts, this is correct.
According to the telecommunications firms, the limits were put in place as a result of a decree from the Federal Government, which instructed carriers to prevent SIM cards that are not linked to NIN from making outgoing calls.
What MTN has to say about unauthorized calls
“Hello,” the message said. We sincerely sorry for any inconvenience this may have given you. A mandate from the Federal Government has been communicated to mobile operators to place limits on outgoing calls for users who have not linked their National Identification Number (NIN) to their SIM card.”
What Airtel is trying to say
“Hello, please take note that the NCC has asked all MNOs to ban lines that have not yet been linked to NIN,” the message said.
The backstory is as follows:
According to Nairametrics, the Nigerian Communication Commission had announced that the blocking of registered SIM cards would take effect on April 4, 2022, and that the date would be April 4, 2022.
According to the statement, President Buhari has generously authorized the several requests to extend the dates for the NIN-SIM connection, which were all granted. At this stage, however, the government has judged that the implementation of the NIN-SIM Policy can proceed as planned.
In part, the statement stated, ” President Muhammadu Buhari, GCFR, issued the decision for the execution and initiation of the exercise in December 2020, as part of the administration’s security and social policies, as previously stated. In order to allow Nigerians to freely comply with the Policy, the deadlines for the NIN-SIM connection have been extended on numerous occasions. The Federal Government also took into consideration the ardent requests made in the past by many bodies, including the Association of Licensed Telecoms Operators of Nigeria (ALTON), civil society organizations, professional organisations, and a host of others, for the extension of the deadlines. As a result, Mr. President graciously granted the numerous requests for extensions of the deadlines for the NIN-SIM linking project. At this stage, however, the government has determined that the implementation of the NIN-SIM Policy can proceed because the necessary infrastructure has already been put in place to assure compliance by citizens and permanent residents. It has an impact on the strategic planning of the government, notably in the areas of security and socio-economic projections.” On the 4th of April, 2022, President Muhammadu Buhari approved the execution of the Policy, which will take effect immediately. As a result, the Federal Government has asked all telecommunications companies in Nigeria to rigidly enforce the Policy on all SIM cards issued in the country (both existing and new). From the 4th of April in the year 2022, outgoing calls for telephone lines that have not conformed with the NIN-SIM linking Policy will be prohibited. In order for the Telcos to lift the restriction on these lines, subscribers of such lines are hereby encouraged to link their SIM cards to their National Identification Numbers (NINs). NIMC and the telcos, as well as the NIMC mobile App, are advising affected individuals to register for their NINs at authorized centers, and then link their NINs to their SIMs through the channels given by NIMC and the telcos, including the NIMC mobile App.”