Texas kicks off the primary spherical of primaries for the 2022 midterm season on March 1. Down the poll past governor, candidates are operating for a bunch of different statewide positions with all kinds of duties – and one place for which the title has nothing to do with the precise job.
Early voting within the state started on February 14, and voters have skilled issues on account of a brand new voting regulation that’s being put to the take a look at this election. The regulation has already led to the rejection of lots of of mail-in voting functions and the submission of such functions to the fallacious workplace.
Much like the governorship, through which incumbent Greg Abbott is operating for a 3rd time period, Texas Republicans at the moment maintain all of those different statewide positions and among the incumbents are going through main challenges on March 1. Right here’s some background and key issues to learn about these races:
- In Texas, the lieutenant governor wields appreciable energy as president of the state Senate.
- Texas is certainly one of 17 states within the US the place the lieutenant governor is elected individually from the governor within the common election.
- Republican Dan Patrick, who’s searching for a 3rd time period, is a former discuss radio host with a historical past of constructing controversial statements and has former President Donald Trump’s endorsement.
- Three candidates are operating within the Democratic main. Bob Bullock, who left workplace in 1999, is the final Democrat to carry the workplace.
- Attorneys common act as the highest authorized officers of their states or territories, with duties starting from imposing legal guidelines to offering authorized recommendation to state officers.
- Republican incumbent Ken Paxton, who has been vocal about criticizing President Joe Biden on Covid-19 mandates and Texas’ abortion ban, secured an endorsement from Trump.
- Paxton has confronted authorized and moral points, together with a 2015 indictment on securities fraud costs and a present skilled misconduct investigation for his lawsuit difficult the 2020 election outcomes.
- Paxton faces a main problem from Texas Land Commissioner George P. Bush, former Texas Supreme Court docket Justice Eva Guzman and US Rep. Louie Gohmert in his bid for a 3rd time period as legal professional common.
- Dan Morales is the final Democrat to carry the workplace, serving from 1991 to 1999. Within the present election, 5 Democrats are operating for the get together’s nomination.
- The Workplace of the Comptroller serves as “Texas’ chief tax collector, accountant, income estimator, treasurer and buying supervisor,” in accordance with its web site.
- Republican incumbent Glenn Hegar was sworn into this place in 2015.
- John Sharp is the final Democratic comptroller in Texas, holding the job from 1991 to 1999. Within the Democratic main, three candidates are operating for the nomination this 12 months.
- The land commissioner runs the Texas Normal Land Workplace (GLO), together with overseeing investments for public training and managing state lands to provide oil and fuel.
- The oldest state company in Texas, it was initially fashioned in 1836 to “decide who owned what and the place after the Texians and Tejanos received independence,” in accordance with the company’s web site.
- Twelve candidates, together with 4 Democrats, are operating to succeed Bush.
- Bush – the son of former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, nephew of former Texas Gov. and US President George W. Bush, and grandson of former US President George H.W. Bush – launched his run for Texas legal professional common final June.
- As the top of the state’s agriculture company, the Texas agriculture commissioner oversees duties starting from defending agricultural crops from pests and illnesses to administering nationwide faculty meal applications for Texas youngsters.
- Republican incumbent Sid Miller was first elected in 2014, has Trump’s endorsement and can face two different Republican candidates in a bid to maintain his place.
- Former US Power Secretary and former Texas Gov. Rick Perry was Texas’ agriculture commissioner from 1991 to 1999.
- Perry first received the workplace by unseating incumbent Jim Hightower, thus far the final Democrat to carry the job. Two Democrats are operating for the place.
- Regardless of the title, the Texas Railroad Fee hasn’t held any authority over railroads since 2005, in accordance with its web site. The fee at the moment regulates the oil and fuel business within the state.
- Republicans Wayne Christian, Christi Craddick and Jim Wright are the three commissioners on this company.
- Commissioners are elected to six-year staggered phrases. Christian, who’s the chair of the company, is operating for a second time period in a multi-candidate GOP main.
- One Democratic candidate, Luke Warford, is operating for his get together’s nomination this cycle.